Caregiver Job Description
Responsible for assisting residents with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and general upkeep of the CCAL home. Foster resident independence and freedom of choice.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A commitment to the values of CCAL.
- Ability to speak, read and write English fluently.
- Ability to relate to residents, families, and staff in a courteous and diplomatic manner under all circumstances.
- Ability to think, act and intervene independently in both routine and emergency situations.
- Must have the ability and the integrity to document accurately and consistently.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrive on time for all shifts scheduled to ensure the staffing ratio required by state regulations.
- Read ALERTS & COMMUNICATIONS before beginning your shift.
- Assists residents, as necessary, with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) as outlined in their Care Plan. (bathing, dressing, etc.)
- Care of ADL devices such as eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc.
- General housekeeping tasks such as vacuuming, emptying trash, cleaning bathrooms and kitchen, laundry, bed making, and changes.
- Encourage resident wellness so far as their condition, abilities, needs, and desires allow.
- Encourage resident independence, well-being, and interests, (arts and crafts, reading and writing, hobbies and interests); assist in bringing residents to activities.
- Observe, document, and report to RN Wellness Team, via text or phone, all changes in the residents’ physical condition and cognitive/emotional status. Document in ALERT & Communications Book, Resident Status Book or Occurrence Book as indicated in a professional manner.
- Always record incidents, errors, or accidents on appropriate documents in eMAR.
- Assist in a variety of tasks related to dining.
- Lead activities for residents as assigned.
- Respond to and act appropriately in emergency or disaster situations.
- Plan and complete duties with minimal direction from the supervisor.
- Initiate one-on-one visits with residents.
- Always use tactful communication techniques with residents, families, and co-workers.
- Act as an ambassador and public relations representative to guests and other visitors.
- Accompany residents on off-site activities as needed.
- Prepare and serve snacks as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates an appreciation of CCAL’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Exhibit professional judgment in the performance of job duties.
- Prepare for and participate in Performance Review meetings
- Attend and participate in team meetings, in-services, and trainings.
- Participates in projects and committees as assigned.
- Must be an enthusiastic team player.
- Ensure that facility equipment is appropriately utilized, maintained, contained, and secure.
- Assist with quality assurance programs when indicated.
- Other duties as assigned.
Materials and Equipment Directly Used:
Computer, telephone, smartphone, copier, sound equipment, video viewing equipment, and other electronic equipment as needed medical equipment for blood pressure temp, and other vitals, O2 equipment, wheelchairs, and walkers.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Exposure to body fluids, infections, odors, and various types of resident behavior.
- Exposure to chemical/cleaning solutions.
- 90% inside work, 10% outside work.
- Requires considerable walking, standing, and climbing.
- Considerable lifting up to 40 lbs, occasional pushing, and pulling up to 100 lbs.
- Requires frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and considerable reaching and handling.
- Requires alertness, creativity, imagination, initiative, patience, problem-solving, and good judgment.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.