Summary of Position:
Responsible for preparing and cooking a wide variety of foods for residents, employees, and visitors. May
be required to help assist in serving food. Responsible for keeping a clean and orderly kitchen following
all company and state food regulations to ensure safe and sanitary food preparation and handling.
Responsible for filling out all documentation, task sheets, and logs which are part of company and state
requirements. You are expected to acquire knowledge about residents’ preferences in order to make
the dining experience as pleasant as possible for the individual dining in your care.
- High School Diploma.
- A commitment to the values of CCAL.
- Ability to speak, read, and write English fluently.
- Ability to relate to residents and staff in a courteous and diplomatic manner under all circumstances.
- Must be willing to learn and utilize new programs and technologies as they are made available.
- Ability to think, act, and intervene independently in both routine and emergency situations.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Ability to understand and follow recipes and food menus.
- Ability to use all kitchen equipment safely and correctly.
- Must be willing to expand cooking skills as needed for the position.
- Experience in a cooking environment.
- Food Handlers or Serv Safe certification
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrive on time.
- Maintain a safe culinary environment in all houses using strict infection control procedures.
- Kitchen and equipment will be clean and organized at all times. Safe food temperatures will be maintained at all times according to regulations.
- Dishes will be cleaned and properly stored after every meal.
- Follow the provided 5-wk food menu for nutritionally sound meals, with the needs and preferences of the residents kept in mind.
- Contact the Lead or Resident Services Manager to assist in Health Department inspections if they occur on your shift.
- Prepare and offer nourishing meals and snacks using as many non-processed foods as possible.
- Report shortages or needs of snacks or meal ingredients to the Culinary Lead.
- Report any broken or malfunctioning equipment to Culinary Lead immediately.
- May be asked to take extra shifts or help with special occasions.
- This may include early morning or evening hours.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates an appreciation of CCAL Mission, and Values.
- Exhibit professional judgment in the performance of job duties.
- Participate in performance review meetings with the supervisor.
- Assist with QMP data gathering when asked.
- Attend and participate in team meetings and trainings.
- Participates in projects and committees as assigned.
- Must be an enthusiastic team player.
- Ensure that facility equipment is appropriately utilized, maintained, contained, and secure.
- Assist caregivers as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Materials and Equipment Directly Used:
Computer, telephone, copier, pager, various kitchen and cooking equipment
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Exposure to potentially dangerous kitchen equipment if improperly used.
- Exposure to body fluids, infections, odors, and various types of resident behavior.
- Exposure to chemical/cleaning solutions.
- Estimated 90% inside work, 10% outside work.
- Requires considerable walking, standing, and climbing.
- Considerable lifting up to 40 lbs, occasional pushing and pulling up to 100 lbs.
- Requires frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and considerable reaching and handling.
- Requires alertness, creativity, imagination, initiative, patience, problem-solving, and good judgment.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
We would like to learn more about you. Please download and fill out our Employment Application, and then send it back to email@example.com. Please take special care to do the electronic signatures so we can move forward in the process.